Archive for the ‘3.2.1.8’ Category

3.2.1.8 Released

Saturday, July 26th, 2008

Now availible on AMO.

3.2.1.8 is finally done!

Saturday, July 26th, 2008

Everything has been translated! I will be uploading this to AMO soon!

I’ve also removed the beta 2 post from the blog, as well as the link to the beta 2 installer.

Incompatibility checking

Thursday, July 17th, 2008

To start, this might be the longest version changes since ThunderBrowse 3.0, this list seems to just get longer. Lots of new stuff is coming in, loads of old bugs are getting smashed.

3.2.1.8 has an incompatibility checker. On startup, it checks to see if the user has TBExtInt, BrowsrBounce and/or ThunderUpdate installed. If they do, ThunderBrowse removes the obsolete extension(s) and then restarts.

It’s better than the older versions, which checked for an old pref, then checked if it was false. Then it did the uninstall. Not really the best way. If you see a dialog stating that Thunderbird needs to restart, when you started Thunderbird, it means you have an incompatible extension, and it has been automatically uninstalled.

You don’t have a choice in uninstalling these extensions (note: those extensions are written by me. If the list ever needs a 3rd party extension added, a prompt will be added). Earlier versions had this but it was removed because if the user canceled, Thunderbird would show up as a blank window.

To minimize on the amount of checks, it only runs once, on the main mail window. No other window starts the checks.

3.2.1.8 Beta 1

Monday, July 14th, 2008

Here’s the first beta being offered of ThunderBrowse.

Before you install, please read the beta notice completely. Understand any risks you may be taking, and how I’m not responsible if your computer blows up.

Please, send feedback to beta@thunderbrowse.com, you will be helping the several thousands who use ThunderBrowse.

Now, with that out of the way, let’s get exploring! 3.2.1.8’s beta can be downloaded here:

Get the 3.2.1.8 beta 1!!!!

The beta versions should update when the final release comes out. Though I can’t guarantee that it will.

The status of 3.2.1.8

Sunday, July 13th, 2008

Well, I’ve been working on it while it’s being translated. I can tell you that currently, this version should have been bumped up a few version numbers. It has a bunch of bug fixes and security patches.

Here’s what has been added to 3.2.1.8 since my last post:

  1. Better https checking (before, we checked if the url just had https and highlighted it). This new one actually checks the security of the website and cert. It also recognizes EV Certs (however, you need a security package installed to recognize EV Certs).
  2. tbinitbar.js has been rewritten (it’s a bit cleaner)
  3. A few dev functions have been changed (however, I’ve made sure to support the older ones, too)
  4. The bookmarks js file has been reorganized
  5. Fixed a very old bug where if the user had turned off title changing; meta checking, favicons, and url checking would all fail.
  6. You can rightclick on the website field of an RSS Feed entry and choose to open it in the browser (this option checks [will load in new tab, popup window, or external browser]). You can see the image at the bottom of this post.
  7. Some much needed reorganization

Also included is better XPI Checking, which was a needed feature. Before, checks were done via a match using a faulty string (you can’t check “.xpi”). So what happened was if a url contained .xpi, it failed and may start an installation (the user would still have to accept it). This was wrong. The new one checks file extensions correctly and does a much better job.

RSS field context menu